12 December 17
-273°C
SOUTHAMPTON

1677

The Grosvenor family history can be traced back to the time of William the Conqueror. However it was in 1677 the origins of the property business began, with the marriage of Mary Dawes and Sir Thomas Grosvenor. Over 500 acres of swap, pasture and orchards to west of the City of London where obtained, of which 300 acres remain forming the Grosvenor’s London estate.

1950s - International Expansion

During the second half of the 20th century, Grosvenor utilised its estate management skills of investment, development and asset management across the rest of the UK. The business expanded to the Americas in the 1950s, Australia in the 1960s, Asia Pacific from the early 1990s and later that decade continental Europe. Many of these projects were undertaken in partnership with other investors, gradually leading to fund management.

1720s - MAYFAIR, LONDON

During this time the family began to develop the land into a fashionable residential area, centred around the newly named Grosvenor Square.

The area’s character has continuously evolved though subsequent redevelopments. In the 19th century shops, embassies and diplomatic residences made Mayfair their home. Today, almost all of the cosmopolitan mix of commercial and residential property, known Mayfair, is included in a statutory conservation area.

2000 - Corporate structure

Grosvenor’s corporate governance has evolved with the maturing of the group. In April 2000, we adopted a corporate structure as a Group of regional businesses, publishing our first full Annual Report and Accounts. In 2005 our international fund management business was formalised as a discrete entity. In 2012, we brought all our indirect investments in property together, creating the present tripartite structure of direct proprietary activities; indirect proprietary activities; and fund management. Today, we have 19 offices in 12 countries and assets in a total of 17 countries.

1820s - Belgravia, London

Originally part of the ‘Five Fields’ open land between Hyde Park and the Thames, the Belgravia area was developed at the end of the Napoleonic wars and following the conversion of the nearby Buckingham House into a palace. The Grosvenors surveyor, together with master builder Thomas Cubitt, oversaw the creation of classic Regency style of squares, streets and crescents overlooking private gardens.

2014 - Ownership

Grosvenor remains a privately owned, diversified property group, active internationally in several sectors. Taking a long view of markets and our commitments, we want to be recognised for excellence in quality of design, service delivery and for the lasting impact of our values.

Address
Guildhall Apartments
10 Park Walk
Southampton
SO14 7BL